Wednesday, June 20, 2007

First or the last?

Today was Baby's pre school graduation day.
She was up at 6.30 am for a program that was to start at 10.30am. I had made Coconut agar agar jelly last night for her to take as a treat for everyone. I added baby pink color dye, her favourite colour to the jelly.
She was ready by 9 and the jelly was ready too.. But I wasn't. I changed my dress 10 times. That wasn't the normal me. I wear the same cloths without a second thought everyday.
I checked the forecast. Felt a bit sad that it is going to be a beautiful day. Felt even more stupid for thinking that way.
She asked a million times can we go now? And finally she just opened the door and went out. I looked at the child standing outside my door. The child I brought from hospital 5 years and 4 months and three weeks ago. The child that needed help with everything. The child that made me read Dora every single day. The child that made me make pink colour coconut jelly every time.
This morning, She wore her dress all by herself, she applied the sun screen all by herself, she had her sun glasses and hat on. She didn't even need my help to put her sandals for her.
"Come mama" She reached out and held my hand and it was time for me to go. Time for me to watch her go.
At the pre school when she sang a Russian song every other parent was looking at me enviously. I wanted to be happy for my child and I was.. but my heart was breaking. It was her first graduation and I knew there would be many more. But it was also her last day as my little baby. She is all grown up and I feel I have lost something. They say, you have to let your children go.. but I somehow wasn't expecting it to be this soon.

3 comments:

upsilamba said...

awwww Sarah. Babies grow up so fast, dont they.

Nandini said...

I felt the same when my daughter took a kiddie train when she was two all by herself. She didn't look for mommy and I cried. You'll not believe it. It was like she didn't need me anymore to be with her. Shez still a mommygirl, need me to kiss her imaginary booboos and to give her a hug when shez sad.

Congratulations to the BABY and THE PROUD MAMA.

monsoon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.