Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Suemama's tag

I have been tagged by suemama. Here it is

Something beautiful

I love sunsets. I try not to miss watching the sunset most days. There is something magical about the setting sun. It is like the sun is telling you, 'what ever happens I will be back tomorrow..so please wait for me'. I have often written about the 'bounce' phenomenon. I am not sure if anyone else is aware of it. Somedays due to the optical illusion, the setting sun after it has completely set would hop up the horizon again, kind of peeping to see, if you are still there watching!..

Something Cultural


Wayang Kulit aka as shadow puppet show. Every Malaysian child of the 70's and 80's would have fond memories of watching this show atleast once during their childhood. Wayang was used to tell the stories of Mahabaratha and Ramayana. However with the arrival of islam and Islamic law, where no statue of God can be made, the wayang was changed to wayang kulit, ie the shadows were used to tell the story. Wayang kulit is an endangered art in Malaysia, as the islamic government is not too keen to promote the hindu element, though it is only an art.

Something I did today

I did Suemama's tag!!!!

Something I desire

There is time in Malayalam called karakkidakam. Monsoon season. The rain brings untold miseries to ordinary people, children have to go to school walking in the rain, clothes never get dried, scarcity of food and vegetables, flooding, landslide etc. Most people hate the season. I want to watch the monson rain in Kerala again. I want to sit on the veranda and watch the rain, sipping a hot cup of freshly brewed Malayalee coffee with ghee and sugar in it, munching dried fried tapioca chips with slivers of fresh coconut. After the rain I want to go to the fields and tap the branches and watch the water falling down, creating my own baby rain!. I am waiting for one person who would make this dream even more meaningful..

All the images in this article is from the google. I am not the copyright holder of the images shown in this article.

5 comments:

suemamma said...

Well Sarah, if you don't get that special person, you are welcome to drop in next karkiddam and watch the rains with me and I promise to have ready for you kappa chips & slivers of coconut ready. As for the coffee, I'll get that too, though I've never had it with ghee & sugar!

Sarah said...

suemama...Thank you for the offer... each karkkidakaom I think of going back..then I think next one..
my best memeory of Kerala morning is the coffee my grandmother made in the morning.. We had robusta coffee plant at home. She would dry the berries, roast, powder and brew the coffee, then she adds the a spoon of home made ghee and spn of sugar( ofcourse the moment she turns I would add another 2 more spns),,, That was the best coffee ever..

Anonymous said...

Sarah

After reading this post i made coffee and mucnhed on tapioca chips...and watched the rain...here.....it wont be like the rain in Kerala...but still...

Scoot said...

wow!i love the feeling you let us on about the rains :)
and so interesting...the bounce phenomenon,it makes one feel so happy :)

Icecoolmaiden said...

hey its so cool and i feel likei know u for years..i am feeling so nostalgic....