Sunday, September 10, 2006

Children

Why did I have children?
I had them because, I wanted someone to love. I had so much of love to give. I didn't have them, because I wanted them to be an extension of my ego. They were not born because I needed an old age pension/care. I do not dream of the day my kids achieve some sort of glory, to make me proud.

What do I wish for my kids?
Each of my children are unique in their own ways. They have been blessed with different abilities.
My oldest is very good in arts. She is also a gifted child. She started to speak when she was 6 months old and could write her own name, when she was abt 2 years old. She wants to be an artist

My son, he is very naughty. He is like me, very quick in thinking and happy go lucky. Unlike me, he is exceptionally good in maths. He is also a very good soccer player. Currently he wants to be train driver. He also doesn't mind becoming a truck driver.

My baby, she spoke her first word when she was 2 years old. She is a dreamer. She wants to be a nanny, She wants to take care of her nieces and nephews. She has already promised her older sister and brother that, they don't have to look anywhere else for a child minder.

If I wanted to, I could send my daughter to a special school meant for gifted kids, I could push my son to excel in sports, I could tell my baby,to dream big, you don't want to be a nanny!.

I don't do it because, it is their life. I can show the light, but I can't force them to follow that light. I don't subscribe to the notion that education is everything.
Former PM of Malaysia was a medical doctor. Bill Gates has a basic degree. Reliance founder Ambani didn't even see high school and I stay at home with a masters degree.

What Do I expect from my kids?
I want them to be humane. I expect them to be compassionate and kind. I want them to be happy with what they have. I want them to know the world is their oyster, it is up to them to be the pearls. I hope they understand, each pearl starts as a pain, and I hope my kids learn to accept and understand that, life isn't a bed of roses.
They are the captains of their ship. They are allowed to sail, where ever the wind blows. If the ship is wrecked, I hope they have the courage to rebuild, that they will have faith in themselves.
I follow Gibran's poem about Children to the dot

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them, but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.


Children are children. All they need is love. When you give that unconditionally, you have won half the battle.
If I live in a house of spotless beauty with everything in its place,but have not love, I am a housekeeper - not a homemaker.

If I have time for waxing, polishing, and decorative achievements, but have not love, my children learn cleanliness - not godliness.

Love leaves the dust in search of a child's laugh.Love smiles at the tiny fingerprints on a newly cleaned window.

Love wipes away the tears before it wipes up the spilled milk.Love picks up the child before it picks up the toys.

Love is present through the trials. Love reprimands, reproves, and isresponsive. Love crawls with the baby, walks with the toddler, runs with the child, then stands aside to let the youth walk into adulthood.

Love is the key that opens salvation's message to a child's heart.

Before I became a mother I took glory in my house of perfection. Now I glory in God's perfection of my child.
As a mother, there is much I must teach my child, but the greatest of all is love.
anon.

8 comments:

Tinkerbells said...

Jus wondering...what if ironically your kids turn bac tomorrow and ask "why didn't you push me to reach the stars?"

Sarah said...

I would tell them, the stars are always there, they don't need me to push them to get it.. It is as close to them now as it was then..

Alex said...

"I don't do it because, it is their life. I can show the light, but I can't force them to follow that light. I don't subscribe to the notion that education is everything."

I admire you for this. Seldom are people like this.

"They are the captains of their ship. They are allowed to sail, where ever the wind blows. If the ship is wrecked, I hope they have the courage to rebuild, that they will have faith in themselves."

Beautiful.

Love them, that all parents and all of need to do, and that too, unconditionally.

esvee said...

I want them to be humane

That's more than enough...let them be better human beings!

starry said...

Whatever you said is true.we cannot make children an extension of us.they have to be themselves.I also just want my children to be decent human beings and be able to live and take care of their own families, want nothing from them.I did not have children so they can take care of me when I am old.that is the wrong reason.

Visithra said...

this is a beautiful post

Visithra said...

something i wanted to email you

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14960266/

Scoot said...

wow,let your ldest girl be an artist.I always wanted to be one and remember so vividly how i got pushed into doing something else.I still regret it and want to make up for lost time.And hope i can be an artist soon.Set your child free.I know you are.
My nephew wants to be a truck driver currently.he is about 6
WOw I love what you have written about children,It's simply beautiful.
I believe you are the perfect mother :)